INDIANAPOLIS – Susan G. Komen® Central Indiana is awarding a total of $832,677 in Community Impact Grants to 15 breast health programs in its 41-county service area. Delaware County will benefit from funding provided to Cancer Services of East Central Indiana, Inc – Little Red Door and Interlocal Community Action Program (ICAP) during Komen Central Indiana’s 2016-2017 grant cycle, which began in April.
These programs will use Komen grant dollars to provide comprehensive breast care for low-income women in the counties they serve, including education, care coordination, patient navigation, early detection, treatment and survivorship support. More information about the individual programs serving Delaware County can be found here.
Over the years, Komen Central Indiana has awarded more than $20 million in Community Impact Grants to local organizations that deliver breast health services in central Indiana and the Wabash Valley. These grants are focused on helping local women, men and families with the early detection of breast cancer and navigating treatment. Grant funds cover screenings (clinical breast exams and mammograms), diagnostics (biopsies and ultrasounds), treatment assistance, health care navigation, medication assistance and support services, such as transportation, to ensure women complete treatment with support they need but cannot afford. Grants were selected by an independent grant review panel that reflects the community.
“We are so proud of the work Komen Central Indiana grantees do in Delaware County to help local women, men and families overcome breast cancer with access to healthcare and navigating treatment. It is because of the terrific community support for Susan G. Komen Central Indiana that we can continue to make an impact through these grants,” said Executive Director of Komen Central Indiana, Natalie Sutton.
As a result of the 2014-2015 Komen Central Indiana community grants, more than 100 local women and men received their diagnoses of breast cancer, allowing them to seek and receive the treatment they need. In 2014-2015, Komen Central Indiana grant funding reached more than 26,000 Hoosiers with 40,000 life-saving breast health services including mammograms, diagnostics, patient navigation and survivor support.
“’Reaching Out’ is committed to ensuring that no woman in Delaware County goes without necessary breast screening and diagnostic services,“ said Cheryl Matthews, program director at Cancer Services of East Central Indiana. “Our Komen award will allow us to keep that commitment.”
A resident living in Komen Central Indiana’s 41-county service area and in need of breast health assistance can contact the nearest grantee listed below to find local resources. Many of this year’s grants focus on serving underinsured and uninsured individuals and eliminating disparities to ensure quality care for all.
The 2016 grant recipients, their breast health programs and county/counties served are:
- Boone County Community Clinic: Breast Cancer Screening & Education. Boone, Clinton counties.
- Cancer Services of East Central Indiana: “Reaching Out” Breast Health. Delaware County.
- Cancer Services of Grant County: Breast Education Screening & Survival Program. Grant County.
- Clara Fairbanks Center for Women: Screening Mammograms, Diagnostic Mammograms, Ultrasounds and Diagnostic Biopsy Procedures. Indiana: Clay, Greene, Monroe, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion, Vigo counties. Illinois: Clark, Edgar counties.
- Columbus Regional Health: Mammography Assistance Program (MAP). Bartholomew, Brown, Johnson counties.
- Eskenazi Health: EMBRACE Patient Navigation. Marion County.
- Gennesaret Free Clinic: Women’s Health Initiative. Marion County.
- Hancock Regional Hospital: Andis Women’s Clinic. Hancock, Henry, Madison, Marion, Rush, Shelby counties.
- HealthNet: Marion County Breast Health Outreach and Screening Assistance. Marion County.
- Indiana State University: ISU Genetic Counseling Center at Union Hospital. Indiana: Clay, Parke, Sullivan, Vermillion, Vigo counties. / Illinois: Clark, Edgar, Madison counties.
- Interlocal Community Action Program: ICAP Mammogram Assistance Program. Delaware, Henry, Rush counties.
- Learning Network of Clinton County: Reducing Breast Health Disparities for Latina Women in Clinton County.
- Little Red Door Cancer Agency: Breast Cancer Assistance Program (BCAP). Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan, Shelby counties.
- Rush Memorial Hospital Foundation: Decreasing Late Stage Diagnosis through Patient Navigation, Screenings, Diagnostics, & Treatment Support. Decatur, Rush, Shelby, Fayette, Franklin counties.
- YWCA of Greater Lafayette: Women’s Cancer Program. Clay, Greene, Parke, Sullivan, Vermillion, Vigo, Boone, Clinton, Hamilton, Howard, Montgomery, Tippecanoe, Tipton counties.
About Susan G. Komen Central Indiana
Through generous gifts of time, money and personal commitment, Komen Central Indiana helps local women today with early detection and navigating treatment in 41 central Indiana counties. Komen helps women tomorrow by conducting research to make detection easier, care better and outcomes more successful. Visit komencentralindiana.org or call 317-638-2873 for more information. Connect with them on Facebook at facebook.com/komencentralindiana and Twitter @KomenCentralIN.