By: Neil Gifford—
Indiana has seen an increase in flu activity in the past three weeks. To protect patients, families and team members from unnecessary potential exposure to the flu virus, Indiana University Health is taking the precautionary measure of restricting patient visitors to its hospitals.
Beginning this Friday, March 11, the temporary policy will take effect at IU Health Ball Memorial and IU Health Blackford Hospitals and other IU Health facilities statewide. Visitors should call the hospital they plan to visit before arriving with any questions about the restrictions.
For patients, families, team members and media, here is what this means:
- Only essential adults (18 or older) will be allowed to visit patients.
- Visitors who have flu-like symptoms will not be allowed. Flu-like symptoms include fever, chills, headache, cough, sore throat, muscle aches and, sometimes, diarrhea and nausea occurs in children.
- IU Health is also asking families to limit the number of relatives and friends accompanying patients to the ED, outpatient surgery waiting rooms and procedure areas, primary care and specialist physician offices.
- Media will not be permitted to interview patients.
- Media will need to be escorted to a designated area the hospital(s) for interviews with clinical teams.
IU Health recognizes the role that family plays in a patient’s recovery. However, this temporary policy is being initiated to help further protect patients, family members, other visitors and staff from potential infection with the flu virus.
About Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital
IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital serves as a tertiary referral center and teaching hospital for East Central Indiana and part of Indiana University Health. IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission and maintains 1.2 million square feet of facilities. More than 17,000 patients are admitted every year and 310,000 outpatient procedures are completed annually. Michael Haley is President and CEO. Learn more at iuhealth.org/ball-memorial