By: IU Health—
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – Starting June 15, Indiana University Health will begin relaxing some of the temporary visitor restrictions put in place at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic for all hospitals.
The revised guidelines allow for one visitor per patient, per day in inpatient areas. Each visitor will be screened and given a mask, which must be worn at all times inside the facility.
Additional visitor guidelines:
- Visitors must be 18 or older.
- Visitors will not be allowed for patients who have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Visitors in emergency departments, ambulatory surgery centers, outpatient clinics and medical offices will be facilitated on a case-by-case basis depending on space and ability to maintain social distancing measures.
“I want to thank our patients and their families for their cooperation with these visitor guidelines as we work together to minimize the spread of COVID-19,” said Jason Gilbert, executive vice president and chief nursing executive, IU Health. “I also want to recognize our team members for their remarkable compassion and innovation in developing new ways to connect patients with their loved ones, which is crucial to the healing process.”
IU Health has taken additional steps to ensure safety for patients, visitors and team members at each location:
- Masks: Providers and patient-facing team members always wear masks at every IU Health facility where patient care is provided. Patients and visitors will also be required to wear masks, which are provided at no cost.
- Social distancing: IU Health supports social distancing guidelines by redesigning spaces and displaying six-foot distances wherever possible.
- Limited waiting room time: IU Health is working to significantly decrease (or even eliminate) the time patients spend in waiting rooms.
- Continual disinfecting: IU Health has enhanced disinfecting procedures to ensure spaces and surfaces remain thoroughly clean throughout the day.
More information about COVID-19, visitor restrictions and safety can be found at iuhealth.org.